READ | SERMON NOTES
Summary l Ps Judith shared her testimony. Born in 1973 in Medan, married to a Singaporean at age 21, she gave birth to a severely handicapped daughter. One month later, her husband left her and she was suicidal. Someone brought her to Wesley Church and she was saved and her life has never been the same! Hallelujah! But when she wanted to be a true follower of Jesus Christ, she was confronted with the need to forgive!
She was full of bitterness, anger and pain as she struggled with her husband’s infidelity and abandonment. She told the Lord it was too difficult to forgive, but He gave her two key Biblical applications which helped her get out of her depression and bitterness. The Word is the only thing that can bring transformation, renewal and healing.
1. Col 2:11- She asked God to perform a spiritual circumcision on her to remove her negative feelings! She had to persist many years with this prayer but finally found release and emotional healing. She asked the Lord for an opportunity to meet her ex-husband to have a good closure and her prayer was answered. She shared Christ with him and how their daughter was miraculously healed of the holes in the heart and he accepted Jesus Christ!
2. 2 Cor 12:9 – when you have no more strength to carry on, come before the Lord and remember that His grace is sufficient for you to bear any trouble manfully. It is impossible for us to forgive in our own strength but if Ps Judith can find emotional freedom so can we!
What about if we get hurt in the ministry?
Ps Judith sensed a call to full time ministry so she went to Bible School with her second husband. It was very difficult as her English was not strong. On the eve of her graduation, the Dean asked to hear her testimony and when he heard that she was a divorcee and had remarried, he told her that she and her husband would not be able to serve the Lord in an official capacity due to their adulterous marriage. She was very hurt. Could she forgive people that labelled her an adulteress? Her husband was diagnosed with brain cancer six months later. People said that his illness was due to disobedience. However, they ministered together in a personal capacity for 10 years and Jesus healed him! He is still alive today. All glory to God!
We cannot change the past but we can determine to live in obedience to God in the future! There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus! (Rom 8:1)
What about if we get hurt within the family? Don’t ring 911. Call on to Col 2:11! Forgiveness is never about others but about us and God and our blessing. When we forgive, we always win. We are in bondage while we harbour unforgiveness.
Ps Judith closed by telling us that she and her mother were abandoned by her father as a child. She was asked at age 25 to visit her father on his death bed. She wanted to confront or question him, and hear him voice his regrets but he did not seem to remember her and died soon after.
Again she had to ask God to help her forgive and let go! At this point, the Lord spoke directly to her and gave her an assurance that HE would be a good, good Father who would always look after her, vindicate her and be faithful!
(Sermon notes by Frances Lim)
PONDER | REFLECTION QUESTIONS
- How has the Holy Spirit spoken to you through the preaching of God’s word?
- How would you summarise the message of this section or story?
- What can we learn about God in this passage or story?
- What is God’s personal invitation to you through this message?