READ | SERMON NOTES
Summary | If Jesus were to walk in our midst today, would you recognise Him? Like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, we may be so fixated on our own situations that we do not recognise Jesus when He is right beside us. The Scripture shows us the importance of encountering the Risen Christ with our Hearts, Minds, Eyes and Lips!
1. Experience the Risen Christ with our Hearts (Luke 24:17, 32)
Scripture tells us it was Jesus who had asked the disciples about the conversation they were having whilst walking. He was interested to understand why there were sad (v17). As the disciples shared and conversed with Christ, their hearts burned within them (v32). Just like them, we can experience Christ with our hearts as we open ourselves to Him.
Discipleship Lesson #1: It is okay to lament to God, to express our feelings and emotions to Christ.
2. Understand the Risen Christ with our Minds (Luke 24:27)
We have the completeness of the Scripture in the Old and New Testament that allows us to understand the fulfilment of the Scripture through Jesus (v27). To understand the Risen Christ and God’s full redemptive plan, we need to read ALL of Scripture.
Romans 12:2 tells us we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (with God’s word), that we may know what God’s will is. Romans 10:17 informs us that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Discipleship Lesson #2: Read ALL of Scripture instead of just focusing on a few favourite Bible passages
3. Recognise the Risen Christ with our Eyes (Luke 24:30-31)
Oftentimes when we go through a major tragedy, the way we see things changes. When we spend time with Jesus and commune with Him, our eyes can once again be opened to see Christ in our circumstance.
Discipleship Lesson #3: Do we recognise the Risen Christ with our Spiritual Eyes?
4. Proclaim the Risen Christ with our Lips (Luke 24:33)
The disciples were renewed and so fired up from their encounter with Jesus that they “returned at once to Jerusalem” (v33) to share the news with the other disciples.
Discipleship Lesson #4: The best evidence that we have understood Scripture and have experienced the living Christ is that we are excited to share the good news with others.
While we know about Easter and Christ’s resurrection, do we recall the last time our lives were changed after encountering the Risen Christ? God is inviting us to experience Him afresh each day.
May we allow God to renew our hearts and minds with His word so that no matter what kinds of situations we find ourselves in, we will be able to recognise God’s presence with us.
(Sermon notes by Stella Chiam)
PONDER | REFLECTION QUESTIONS
- Share the last time when you had a “strangely warmed” experience with the Risen Christ.
- How are you understanding the Risen Christ with your Minds today? What resources are you using to help you in meditating all of the Scriptures daily?
- How are you being aware and recognising the Risen Christ in our midst today?
- How and who can you proclaim the good news of our Risen Christ with our lips in this Easter season?